Monday, November 19, 2007

Podcasts

Hi to you all,

Let me first apologize for this delay of my homework. I could not get online recently and so that’s why I am posting e-tivity 6 this late. So let’s look at the podcasts I found for you.

I have never listened to podcasts so this was all brand new to me and took me a bit more time then I expected it. Again I found out that there is still so much on the Internet that I have no idea about. I didn’t really know where to start from so I just looked at some of my interests and this came out:

NPR Movies – You can listen to reviews, discussions, interview and bits of new movies coming out each month. It’s great to be updated through this kind of means; especially for me, due to the lack of going out to see movies here in Italy.

National Geography news - I love reading this magazine, even though it can get a bit pricey if you buy it each month. Well here is a small solution to the financial problem, just without looking at the gorgeus pictures. You can listen to news each week about what is going on around the world that you will not normally see in the usuall news.

Jamie Oliver - Don’t you just love him☺? I know it can be a bit cheesy and bit too much sometimes but he is just so much fun to look at and listen too while actually learning some pretty good tricks in the kitchen.

As you have notice, I am sure, I chose none of the podcasts about English language. Well as I have seen yours, you found so many of them that I thought of taking it for granted and doing something different this time. I hope you enjoy my choices!!

Sorry again for being late!

3 comments:

Eleonora said...

Hi Nina!

Do not worry, it seems you are not the only one who had problems with the computer, connection and so on… It happens quite often to many of us ;-)
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions!
As soon as I saw you put the link of “National Geographic” I clicked on it at once… It is one of my favorite magazines as well… It is a real pity it is pretty expensive! Some years ago my father got it for free (I do not know exactly why) and I used to spend quite a lot of time reading it and most of all looking at its wonderful pictures.
Just a few minutes ago I listened to a very interesting article about chocolate: it seems that the human being has enjoyed it for almost 3000 years… ; ) Actually, I did not know that in this magazine you could also find news about non-scientific topics… ;-) Of course there were podcasts about far more serious matters, as for example oil spills and their terrible consequences on animals and environment :-(

I appreciated the fact that you chose some websites which were pretty different from those chosen from the majority of us. After all, it is not necessary to listen to podcasts about the English language to improve our skills; you can listen to stuff about everything, the important thing is to hear some English! In any case, I just think it is fundamental to work with material we like and we are interested in…Otherwise learning becomes so tedious! We should never forget that motivation and passion are essential when we study or work; if we do something just because we HAVE to, all efforts will be pointless.

Ok, see you soon!
Eleonora

PS: Your post is very well-written…I only noticed that you wrote “…pod casts about English language…”: personally, I would have put the definite article in front of “English“ :-) I would also have used the future with WILL at the end instead of the simple present…”I hope you will enjoy my choices” . That’s all, undoubtedly your English is very good :-)

BYE!

Alesssia L. said...

Hi Nina!

Don’t worry for the late! As Eleonora said, it’s not always easy to gain access to the lab!

I liked your suggestions because, as you said, they’re a bit different from the usual Podcasts!

I had a look at "National Geography news" and I listened to a couple of audio files from the section “National Geographic World Talk”. They consisted in really interesting conversations held by famous explorers who had travelled around the globe. The one about Santa Monica was awesome! Yet, the speaker was a bit difficult to follow given his high speed rate!

The only “negative” thing is that the podcasts you suggested didn’t include a transcript or a “Learning Guide” so, sometimes, I was in difficulties because I couldn’t understanding some passages or expressions (also because the audio files were generally long, at least 15-20 minutes). Anyway, that could be due to poor training… but now that we have podcasts we have NO excuse…:-)


See you in the lab!

Bye Bye

Alessia

Crazy Journalist said...

Hi Nina,

Let me just apologise right away: I couldn't leave my comment last night along with the others because my pc crashed and my internet connection went down, so, well, finally here goes...!

I really appreciate your choices and the general spirit of 'let's-try-not-to-pick-just-about-the-same-old-sites-as-everyone' kind of thing, I tried to do so too but I guess I only half succeded.

I was pretty puzzled by the fact that despite the wide range of possibilities the net offers we all tended to choose among a limited number of language-learning sites. I guess maybe it's because we actually looked for some specific things which only a few sites featured, but then again should we assume the web isn't really so wide as we think it is? Or maybe it's because there really are only some good sites and the bulk of the net is quite crappy or at least not so high-standard as we expect it to be? Well, I've been wondering about this and I think one very likely explanation might be about the searching method. I mean, maybe we got the same results because basically we made similar searches on the same search engine!...

Of course this is a quite down-to-earth not at all intriguing answer. I think your idea that we as a group are acting in a 'Jungian collective unconscious' sort of way is far more interesting!... ;)

Well, the link I liked best among those you chose is the Jamie Olivier one. I think the guy is so much fun! I really admire him for the way he became an international celebrity: instead of pumping his byceps or grinning like a macho moron on tv he went and wrote cooking books and now he appears on Letterman's show and teaches how to fix pasta alla carbonara! It's even educational, in a way... So, thumbs up for Jamie!!!

See you in class